Thursday, August 7, 2008

Mia's first day at daycare!

Kristi (Littles' normal sitter) took a day off today, so we needed backup care. For the first time, Work Options Group was able to locate a daycare center that would take Littles as a drop-in, rather than assigning a nanny to come take care of her at home. I think it helps that she's now a "toddler" rather than an "infant" -- the ratios in the toddler rooms are a little higher, so they're more likely to have open spots.

So I pulled out the Sharpie to label all her stuff last night, then packed her up this morning and off we went!

She got off to a bit of a rocky start. Moments after we arrived, they combined the two toddler rooms (10 kids and 2 teachers each) for a special "exercise" program with music. She seemed to be settling in fine, so I stepped away to hand over her diaper bag and give some instructions to the lead teacher in her room. When I came back, Littles was whimpering, and then she started crying when she saw me. I think that all the kids, activity, music, etc. just freaked her out a little.

I knew that my presence probably wasn't helping, so I left, and called about an hour later. The teacher told me that she had indeed stopped crying after I left and was off playing happily.

She ended up doing really well! She only napped for 20 minutes (normal for her is 2 hours), but that was actually more that I expected, given that she had to sleep on a mat in a room with a bunch of other kids rather than in a crib in a room by herself. She ate all her food and was a good girl. The teachers said that she did even better than two kids who started a few days ago. I was so proud of her!

2 comments:

alrightguy said...

I probably shouldn't but I have to say it. I knew it all along. She is a strong kiddo and I never had a doubt she would adapt and overcome any fears. It is sometimes scary how little fear she has of things, but I am so proud! Mia you can do whatever you put your mind to kiddo. Go Kiddo!

Dede Hill said...

I am a mother of three And I know the stress of child care. Luckly I met up with a business guy out of Idaho and he presented me with such a great opportunity that I now get to stay home with the kids. It truly allowed me to drem my last financial nightmare. check it out at my blog spot at dedersacn.blogspot.com there is also a link to see the short video.