Saturday, May 10, 2008

First week at my new job

This past week was my first week at my new job :)

I spent Monday to Wednesday up in Seattle, where most of my new team sits. Hubby asked for a week off in between his old job and new job, so he was able to come with me and watch Littles while I worked. This worked out really nicely, as we didn't have to pay extra for child care (we still have to pay for our nanny share back home, even when we don't use it), he and Littles had some quality dad-daughter 1:1 time, and I didn't have to miss both of them. Hubby leaves for Dallas tomorrow and we'll only see him for one weekend over the next four weeks, so we're both savoring every minute with him right now.

Also, Littles caught a nasty cold over the weekend, so I was glad to be there for her. She kept waking up coughing on Sunday night, and I finally brought her into bed and cuddled her for the rest of the night. I'm sure Hubby would have done fine if he had been home alone with her, but it was nice that we could both be there.

Bringing Littles with me also made things easier from a pumping perspective. On Sunday, I brought the milk I had pumped over the weekend (10 oz refrigerated), as well as a bottle of frozen milk (8 oz). For traveling, I put the refrigerated milk in my normal cooler with an ice pack, and the frozen milk in a cooler bag that I filled with ice. I was worried about the frozen milk defrosting on the way to Seattle, since defrosted milk must be used within 24 hours. It was about six hours from the time I took the milk out of the freezer at home to the time that I got to the hotel in Seattle, and the milk was still frozen completely solid! So that worked well.

The rest of the week, I just pumped as normal. I had no problems keeping up with Littles, as she drank about 4-8 oz less per day with Hubby than she does with Maria. I've long suspected that Maria overfeeds her, and this was proof of that. Not that I really care -- I'd rather her overfeed than underfeed.

I got a room at a Residence Inn, which made things a lot easier with Littles. It had a full kitchen for preparing her solids meals, a refrigerator for keeping milk cold, a freezer for my ice packs, and a dishwasher for cleaning my bottles and pump parts. I paid a little extra out-of-pocket for a two-bedroom suite, which was nice so that Hubby and I didn't have to tiptoe around after she went to bed.

The new job is great. Hectic, but great :) I've taken over a project that's already five months behind schedule, and no one knows the status right now. Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me. But it's fun being in charge of something and attempting to move it in the right direction!

All in all, it was a good week. I can already tell that the next two months will be very busy and crazy between trying to get my project finished and the move and everything. But I'm ready for it. Bring it on!

No comments: