Sunday, March 30, 2008

Supply dip

I've had more of these than I care to remember over the past 5+ months. Sometimes for obvious reasons, like when I got the stomach flu and lost 5 pounds during three days of barely eating. Sometimes for not-so-obvious reasons -- too much stress? not enough sleep? not enough pumping? some combination? Who knows.

This week, I've been dealing with a supply dip for not-so-obvious reasons. I usually pump about 12 oz over the course of the workday (plus another couple of ounces at night after Littles goes to bed) but this week, I had two days where I was in the single digits for ounces pumped during the workday. Not good.

My prescription for bringing my supply back? Lots of nursing (thank goodness for the weekend) and pumping. Trying to rest more and stress less (ha!). Oh, and lots and lots of food. Seriously, I've been a bottomless pit these past few days, which I interpret (rightly or wrongly) as my body's way of telling me that it needs more sustenance. And who am I to argue with my body? :)

Even though I've been through this before and always recovered, I always get scared that this will be the time that my milk won't come back. I try to put those thoughts out of my head, since thinking about that possibility could turn it into a self-fulfilling prophecy. But it's hard.

The good news is that with a little over two months to go till Littles' first birthday and almost 200 oz of frozen milk in my freezer (Littles usually eats around 15 oz a day), I'm getting close to the point where even if a supply dip becomes permanent, I should be able to coast, pumping what I can and using my freezer stash for the rest.

But I don't think I'm at that point quite yet. So, pass the Cold Stone Creamery! :)

No comments: